Saturday, September 3, 2011

My First Love

As far back as I can remember, I have LOVED softball. I started tee ball at 4 or 5. I played soccer and basketball also, but I always looked forward to softball season the most. I loved to play catch with my older siblings, practice pitching against the brick wall in front of my parents' house, watching A's baseball games, and going to my older siblings' games. I couldn't wait for the day when I was old enough to have my dad coach MY team! He coached my siblings so I was the last to get to be on his team.

Being a lefty, I was born to play first base. I was SO glad that I got to have to most action directed towards me, and I was able to direct my team mates in warm-ups and throughout the innings. I was also WAY better at catching than I was at throwing :) so it was a plus I didn't have to field the ball and make a direct throw across the field...that would have been bad!

Through the years, I dropped soccer and then basketball and kept to softball. I played through my senior year. I never tried out for the high school teams because I HATED to have to be serious during ALL the games! It would have ruined the fun for me to be ultra competitive, I just don't like that.

I am lucky to have married someone who loves the sport as much as I do. Ryan played baseball growing up and was a pitcher on his high school team! To this day, Ryan and I love to go play catch randomly. We reminisce about how much fun we had with our friends.

Yay for softball!!



No comments: